Sunday, August 24, 2014

Never Give Up...

Tomorrow, I will start my last first day school for my Bachelors degree. I have so many emotions and things that are running through my mind. Not only has this been a long time coming, I am finally almost to my ultimate goal.

Graduating in 2007, I went straight to a four–year institution. I was a pre-med student and my life goal was to become a Doctor. I have always loved helping people so I thought this was the perfect way to do that. But a series of events kept me away from that goal. Not only did I get into heavy drinking, which happens to most new college students, but I got involved with the wrong crowd.  I stopped caring about my academics, my goals, and ultimately almost got kicked out of school. I went from someone who graduated with top honors to someone who cared more about the parting lifestyle.  I knew I had to make a change so I left that school, moved back home, and went to a community college.

During my community college time I became a Graphic Design student. I have been an artist since I was young, so I thought this would only be a more natural route. I loved every second of school and what I was doing.  I was creating, designing everyday and releasing that negative energy that came about during my first year of college But for some reason that passion went away.

I decided to clear my mind and do something different in my life- I applied to an airline company to become a Flight Attendant. Immediately I got a response and was asked to travel to a city in North Carolina to do an interview.  Not even a week after the interview, I got a call telling me that I got into training, and I would be moving to Phoenix, Arizona in less than two weeks. This was the best time of my life. I met some amazing people, who I am still in contact with today, and had an amazing experience traveling the country. But unfortunately some good things come to an end.

I found out that my company was going bankrupt and that I would basically be homeless. I wasn’t making enough money with the company to continue, so again, I had to come back home. In small words, I was defeated. I thought this was going to be my career and something that I would do for the rest of my life. 

At this point in my life I was lost.  I didn’t know what I wanted to do and who I was.  But I knew I couldn’t give up on having true happiness. I decided to go back to school and give it another try. I took some English Literature classes and fell in love. Being an avid reader since I was young, I have always loved studying and getting to know a novel. So once I got my grades up, I transferred to the school that I’m at now and became an English Major.

People always ask me, “So what are you going to do with your English degree?” and my response is, “ I will figure it out.”  I do eventually want to get my Masters and phD in Communications and Education and teach at the collegiate level. But the point of this whole story is…. I am now HAPPY.

It doesn’t matter how long it takes you to do something. The idea of life is figuring it out and ultimately finding your own happiness. You can never give up on finding out what makes you truly happy and achieving that final goal. Life is hard! But never give up on your dreams.

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment